maandag 13 juli 2015

Adventures on Rathlin Island

I have explored the Causeway Coastal Route many times, but I never took the time to visit Rathlin Island as well – until now. It’s only 20 minutes by ferry from Ballycastle, but it feels like you’ve entered a different world. The moment I set foot on the island, an immense feeling of tranquillity hit me. I understand why people come here, and don’t want to leave. The (small) community is close-knit, friendly and helpful. I experienced that within the hour: the weather was fickle as usual, and while I was on my way to the western point of the island (puffins!) it started to pour. A wee bit of rain has never stopped me from doing anything, but I couldn’t say no when a woman from the RSPB (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) offered me a lift. The same woman also showed me the only upside-down lighthouse in Ireland, which will be open to the public in August (well, that’s the plan). I think it’s going to be very interesting, with an insight in how life must have been for the lighthouse keeper. It was a manned lighthouse until the 80’s.


Back to one of the main reasons I came to Rathlin: puffins! They’re breeding now, at the bottom of a massive cliff. This is the safest place for them, as the island is full of predators such as rats and ferrets. And they’re not the only ones who found refuge on this side of the island: over 80.000(!!!) seabirds made their nests on or under the cliff and the nearby sea stacks. It’s the loudest place on the entire island, very impressive! The RSPB offered me a telescope and binoculars so I could spot the puffins, kittiwakes, guillemots, razorbills and fulmars. A lovely mix of birds, but my favourite is still the puffin – so cute!

spot the puffin - click to enlarge

The hike back to the harbour area was amazing, with (of course) many sheep. This breed of sheep was chosen because of its hardiness, as the Rathlin winters are very harsh. Rathlin is mainly covered with heather, grass and bushes – and some lakes as well. In some places, it looks like the lake and ocean are at the same level (which, of course, they’re not). After a lovely meal and a bit of relaxation, I went back to the pub for a night of entertainment. The islanders sure know how to have a good time! ;)


I’m not very good at lying in, especially when I’m on a trip - no rest for the wicked. ;) My Sunday morning walk is probably the highlight of this trip: I walked for 2.5 hours without seeing anyone! I did some off-road rambling, climbed a few fences and walked on cliff edges. Some of these things might not have been very safe to do on my own, but I LOVED it. I think the South Lighthouse is my favourite part of the island, I spotted a lot of seals in the ocean and on the rocks. I was sitting ca. 15 metres away from them and they just didn’t care. A perfect place for some meditation – but to be honest, the entire island is.


I can highly recommend a trip to Rathlin, one day is perfect if you’re not a crazy hiker like me. You could take the ‘Puffin Bus’, learn about the island’s history (Scottish King Robert the Bruce took refuge here) and of course enjoy the puffins, seals and other animals.

I absolutely loved this weekend getaway: I feel soooo zen!

(and a bit sore, I hiked -and climbed- more than 15 miles in one weekend)

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Nice blog and great photo's!! Especially the sheep photo, excellent!
    Cheers,
    Anne
    Ditisierland.nl

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
    Reacties
    1. Thnx Anne! Jouw blog is ook erg leuk, we zijn allebei overduidelijk dol op Ierland ;) Groetjes uit Belfast!

      Verwijderen